Search This Blog

August 11, 2011

The Incredible J. D. Tyler is here!

Thank you so much for having me here today, ladies! And congratulations on the launch of your lovely new blog.
Tell us about yourself. How long have you been writing?  I’ve been writing for over ten years, and I’m multi-published under two other pen names. PRIMAL LAW, book 1 of my new Alpha Pack series, marks my foray into the paranormal genre as J.D. Tyler. I can’t tell you how excited I am about this series!

How did you get from your day job to writing romance?  In my day job, I used to be a teacher. I was under so much stress, I was having chest pains by the end of a 16-year run. I needed a major career change and I’d always dreamed of being a published author. I had tons of stories in my head and the drive to succeed. After I finished my first manuscript, I joined the Romance Writers of America and learned how to hone my writing for the market. I sold almost 6 years after I started writing, and the rest is history!

Who is your favorite author(s) and why?  My number one favorite author is Jim Butcher! Pleeeze, can I be Jim when I grow up? The man is a genius, and I’m totally addicted to his Dresden Files series! Harry Dresden is a master wizard who’s also a private investigator, and takes care of people’s paranormal problems. He’s sexy, humorous, and he’s always in some sort of jam. From the first sentence, Jim Butcher takes his readers on a thrill ride that never lets up. If you enjoy paranormal and haven’t tried this series, you must!
Tell us about your new book, PRIMAL LAW. Ohh, I’ll be glad to! Here’s the Blurb:

Founded by a group of former Navy SEALS, the Alpha Pack is a top-secret team of wolf shifters with Psy powers tasked with eliminating the most dangerous predators in the world. But the gift of their abilities comes at a price…
After a massacre decimates half his team and leaves him crippled, Jaxon Law must relearn how to fight—and battle the anger and guilt threatening to overwhelm him. But when he rescues a beautiful woman who reawakens his primal instincts, Jax is unprepared for the dangers that lie ahead.

On the run from her employer, brilliant lab assistant Kira Locke has evidence that leads the Alpha Pack on a hunt for someone targeting human civilians with Psy abilities. And as Jax and Kira circle both the killer and each other, Jax will have to decide if the deep connection he feels with Kira is worth breaking the ultimate shifter rule—because bonding with Kira means putting his abilities at risk, and they might be the only tools he has to keep his mate alive…

And an Excerpt (Jaxon Law and Kira Locke):

Pushing her against the inside of the door, he set about overwhelming her senses while divesting her of the baggy clothing that hid way too much. He nuzzled her neck, kissing and flicking the vulnerable skin with his tongue, puzzled as to why he felt the nearly overwhelming need to bite her. And why denying that need seemed to make the burning itch even worse. Perhaps he would give in, but not today. He wouldn’t risk it without talking to a Pack doctor about the possible ramifications.
His hands found the edge of her shirt, and his palms slid over her flat tummy. Moved upward to her small breasts, so different from his usual busty type. Hers were barely a handful and yet they were perfect. His thumbs graze the nipples, pleased when they pouted and hardened. A little whimper escaped her throat and she arched into him, begging without words.
“You like that, angel?” he murmured.
“It’s been so long.” Her voice was breathless, husky with arousal.
“Do you want me to stop?” He plucked the peaks, pinching just enough to give a tiny jolt, make her want more.
“This isn’t a good idea.”
Scraping the tip of one fang along the spot where her neck and shoulder met, he nibbled, careful not to scratch her pretty skin. “That’s not an answer. Do you want me to stop?” he enunciated, putting more force into the question.
“No.”
“Tell me what you want,” he coaxed. Moving one palm downward, he had no problem sliding his hand inside the front of the too-big jeans. Slowly, he brushed his fingers through neat curls, giving her time to protest. Instead, she widened her stance with a moan, inviting him to touch, thrilling him. But he had to hear it. “Tell me, baby.”
“Touch me,” she whispered, burying her face in his chest. “Give me everything.”

What is the appeal of writing paranormal romance?  I love being able to create my own world and my own rules for how that world works. No one can tell me black panthers don’t exist or a former lab assistant can’t run a shelter for displaced paranormal beings. That’s three-fourths of the fun, writing about fantastic events, creatures, heroes… It’s all mine, and then the readers’ in turn to enjoy.

What kind of writing turns you off?  In general, I’m not a big fan of flowery prose or long passages of description. I’m an action kind of gal—launch me straight into the fray, grab me by the throat, keep me excited, and don’t let me go until the ride is over!

What stops you from writing?  Sometimes life gets in the way. We all have emergencies or family things that crop up. But writing for me is more difficult in the summer in particular because my teenagers are home from high school and college, and the house is always full of energetic younger people, it seems. I have to give up my cozy spot on the couch, retreat to my office with my laptop, and put on some rock. Alice in Chains, Three Days Grace, and Metallica really get me going!

How have you shocked your readers? Only if I’m doing my job right!

How do you get your ideas? What is your writing day like?  Sometimes I get ideas from the news or stories I hear. Mostly, I get them from my mind wandering, reacting to things or people I observe, mentally playing “what-if” games all the time. For my writing day, I’m usually up by 7:30 a.m., and I head straight for my coffee! I don’t function without a cup or 2. Then I check email, respond to questions and requests, and do agent and editor business. And then I start writing. I open my mind and invite my characters in to act for me. Sometimes they’re quiet, and other days I can’t write fast enough to keep up with them! I’m usually done for the day by 4 p.m., give or take.

Can you share three writing tips?

1)    If you want to be a writer, plant your ass in the chair and DO IT. Don’t give me all the excuses for why you don’t have time to follow your dreams. If I had time raising 2 small children after teaching all day, grading papers, and then writing until after midnight, then getting up at 6 a.m. to do it all over again for YEARS before I sold, you can do it too!
2)    Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t follow your dreams and/or won’t succeed. If you do, then you weren’t meant to survive in the publishing business.
3)    Join a professional writing organization like Romance Writers of America, or other group appropriate to your genre in order to learn the business and hone your craft.

Fill in this blank: My ideal fictional hero would think me gorgeous if I never changed one thing about myself.

What's your favorite dessert? I have to pick just one? Well, then, if I was told I only had one day left on earth and could eat any dessert I wanted, I’d eat a cheesecake with raspberry topping!


What’s up next for J.D. Tyler? Next up is a novella tentatively titled BLACK MAGIC (the title might change), and it will be a stand-alone story involving Kalen Black, the team’s newest member who’s a Sorcerer/panther shifter/Necromancer! Other Alpha Pack team members call him a cross between a rock star and a gunslinger. You’ll find out why in PRIMAL LAW. His novella will be released from Penguin eSpecials in March 2012, and will lead into SAVAGE AWAKENING (book 2), and Kalen’s own story, which will be book 3 of the series. And I’ll tell you right now, Kalen’s full novel, book 3, is going to be truly epic.

After Kalen’s novella is SAVAGE AWAKENING, which is Aric Savage’s story and will be released on April 3, 2012! Aric has been the most fun hero I’ve ever written because he’s such a snarky bastard. Of course, the prickly outside hides a heart as big as a continent. It will take a really special woman to make this sexy redhead accept his self-worth and be the hero everyone knows he is.

20 comments:

J.D. Tyler said...

Ladies,
Thank you for having me here today! I'm here all day if anyone has questions... bring them on! :)

Phyllis said...

Good Morning and Welcome! How many books are you planning with this group of Alphas, J.D.?

You've had such great success with your other series, this one should blast through the ranks!

Kathy Ivan said...

Good morning, J.D.

Absolutely stunning cover, by the way. I'm starting this book tonight, after I've finished my pages. It's my reward and motivation to get my backside in the chart after work. LOL

I'm so with you about Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. Love, love, love it. I've re-read all of them. I'm with you; anybody who hasn't read the books, pick one up--you won't be disappointed.

The Alpha Pack series sounds absolutely terrific. What made your publisher want you to write a paranormal series. And will there be any more firefighters in our future (or those hunky cops, either?)

Kathy

Kathy Ivan said...

See it's too early. That should be backside in the CHAIR (I'd hate to see me try to fit this thing in a chart (not enough paper for that). LOL

J.D. Tyler said...

Hi Phyllis! If all goes well, this series could go on indefinitely. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope readers love my Pack boys. :)

Thanks so much! It's great to be here.

J.D. Tyler said...

Thanks, Kathy! The art department at NAL has been very good to me! Wait until you guys see the cover for Aric's story... OMG! Can't wait to be able to show it off. :) I hope you enjoy Jax's story!

Kathy, I'm trying to get my 16 year old son into the Dresden files! He loves to read but doesn't like paranormal--says all the paranormal is "girly" but what he's talking about is the stuff targeted at YA teen girls. I told him to start STORM FRONT and he won't be able to put them down! Still working on him... LoL

On the switch to paranormal, my publisher specifically wanted a series about shifters, perhaps wolves. They knew my firefighter series was ending, plus they like my writing style, and thought of me to come up with something for them, and I was thrilled to be asked!!

Someday I'd like to come up with a series about the Sugarland PD and give Shane his story... :)

Patricia said...

Thank you for the great tips about how to live your dream to write! Someone once wrote in a blog about BIC HOK - butt in chair, hands on keys! That about sums it up - just DO it and stop making up excuses. Great post.
Patti

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Yes, J.D., that is a hot cover and hot excerpt. Thanks for being with the PP girls today.

Addison said...

JD:

SO excited for you and the launch of the Alpha Pack series. PRIMAL LAW is absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to read more!!!

Addison

J.D. Tyler said...

Patti,
I think it's good advice for whatever anyone wants to pursue! You have to go for it, and don't let anyone stand in your way. :)

Have a great day!

J.D. Tyler said...

Thanks, Vicki! I luv my cover, and the next one is even yummier! :)

Thanks for having me here today!

J.D. Tyler said...

Thank you Addison!! I'm so happy you enjoyed it!! :))

Have a great week!

Liz Lipperman said...

J.D., I loved the firefighter series, and I know I'll love this one, too. This cover is pretty awesome, so I can't wait to see the next one.

Get my ass in the chair..get my ass in the chair..

See, I did pick up something form the interview.

J.D. Tyler said...

Thanks, Liz! I'm glad you enjoyed the firemen, and I hope you love the Alpha Pack too! :)

Jeanmarie Hamilton said...

J.D., enjoyed your blog today, and I too thoroughly loved your gripping firefighter series. I'm thrilled that you're writing shape shifters, and I'll be devouring Primal Law as soon as it arrives in the mail tomorrow. :) I ordered it the moment it was available.

You're absolutely right about writing. That's my priority, other than family and friends, and I write every day. I take a short break between stories just to keep my muse hungry for the next project. I love to write shape shifters, as well as western historical romance. As you said, there is so much freedom in writing paranormal.

J.D. Tyler said...

Hi Jeanmarie,
Thanks so much!! I hope you love Jax's story as much as I enjoyed writing it! Paranormal is so much fun. Making my own rules is great, but I'm at the point that I might have to make a spreadsheet of facts/characters, etc to remember them! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the book!

Kathleen Baldwin said...

Hi Jo!

Dang girl, you can sure write! Hot excerpt is right, scorching.

Jim Butcher is one of my favorites, too. Have ya'll seen the Dresden files as graphic novels. Yeah, love his Mickey Spillane type voice.

Kathy Ivan said...

Nope, Kathleen, haven't seen the graphic novels, but I do have the one season of the TV series that was on. (It was on the SciFi channel). LOL Of course, I had to have it.

J.D. Tyler said...

Hi Kathleen!
Thanks so much. :) I haven't seen Jim's graphic novels, but it's my goal to get caught up with his books I haven't had time to read, including the graphic ones! He's such a guilty pleasure... Have ya'll read his Codex Alera series? I don't hear as much about those so I'd wondered if they're good. :)

Heather Cashman said...

You guys make me wish I lived in Texas, though I kind of did before.