Search This Blog

May 17, 2012

KISSES, KISSES AND MORE KISSES by Kathy Ivan



Princess Michelle's blog from Tuesday about 80s movies got me thinking about some of my favorite movies from that era as well as more recent ones. We all remember certain scenes, lines and quote from movies because they're memorable. They resonant with us for a reason, whether it's because they make us laugh, make us smile, even make us cry.

So in my own roundabout way of thinking, my mind turned to movies and songs about that special moment between the lead characters, the unique moment that culminates in a physical expression of feeling, a visual and tactile scene bringing to live the romanticism we as writers endeavor to achieve in our audiences. Nothing portrays that better than a kiss.



Kisses permeate our entire society—our books, movies, and music are filled with examples of the magic that is "the kiss."

You all know the kind I'm talking about. It might be just the soft press of lips, a barely-there whisper, fleeting and ephemeral. Maybe it’s a grab you and plant a hot, wet, deep kiss so packed with feeling you can practically seem the steam rising from their skin. When it's done right, there's nothing else on earth like it, is there?

I'd like to share a few examples with you of those "special" kisses through song and from the silver screen.

SONGS (In no particular order)
1. Kiss the girl (from The Little Mermaid)
2. A kiss to build a dream on
3. It's in his kiss
4. And then he kissed me
5. Sealed with a kiss
6. Passionate kisses
7. You shouldn't kiss me like that

MOVIE KISSES (Again in no particular order)
1. When Harry Met Sally
2. The Quiet Man
3. Ghost
4. Lady and the Tramp
5. The Princess Bride
6. Gone with the Wind
7. Breakfast at Tiffany's

Did you smile as you read some of these titles? I know I did, picturing those movies and hearing those lyrics brings back warm memories.

Are you moved when you see two lovers sharing something as intimate and personal as a kiss? Does hearing about kissing in a song make you smile? I'd love for you to share with us some of your favorite kisses from movies, songs, or maybe from TV or books. Let's blow some kisses across the blogosphere today and share the love.

16 comments:

Phyllis said...

Good Morning, all.

The one kiss that came to mind immediately was from You Got Mail - you had to wait until the very end!

Cute posst, Kathy.

Alisha said...

Great post, Kathy! My favorite part of romance novels and romantic movies is the Kiss!! And I loved the Lady and the Tramp kiss while eating spaghetti! Precious!

Kathy Ivan said...

Phyllis--You've Got Mail--that was a terrific kissing moment, too! Thanks for reminding me of that one.

Kathy Ivan said...

Alisha, I know that kiss between Lady and Tramp with the spaghetti--just priceless. I guess that's why its such a classic. It's immediately recognizable to moment you see it.

Thanks for stopping by the Princesses.

Liese said...

You're right, Kathy. THE KISS is always the point where things change between the hero and heroine. I can't think of one more dramatic than Scarlett and Rhett's with Atlanta burning in the background.

Elizabeth Essex said...

My favorite kiss of all time has got to be that one in the rain, in the ruin, in The Quiet Man when John Wayne's shirt got so wet it starts to go transparent. Whooooo. (Fanning self.)

Another of my favorite kisses comes at the end of the most recent BBC production of Jane Austen's Persuasion (which was awful and forgettable in a lot of ways, but wonderful in others) when Anne and Wentworth are finally alone together and finally, finally after all those years she gets her heart's desire.

Oh, and the Richard Armitage kiss at the end of North and South! Oh, my, my, my.

I think I need to lie down now. :)

Kathy Ivan said...

Liese--I think that's one of the iconic kisses of cinema history. The city of Atlanta burning around them as Rhett and Scalett share a scorching kiss that rivals the flames surrounding them. Woo Hoo, hot!

Kathy Ivan said...

EE--That kiss in The Quiet Man though made so many years ago definitely stands the test of time doesn't it. When that very alpha hero kisses his equally enthrallilng heroine, the heart just has to flutter.

And Richard Armitage and North and South--my goodness I DO remember that kiss. Hot, Hot, Hot!

I haven't seen Persuasion from BBC yet, I'm going to have to look that one up. Thanks for the recommendation, girlfriend.

Liz Lipperman said...

I know just what you're talking about, Kathy.
The first thing that came to my mind when I read this was in Fatal Attraction when Michael Douglas kissed Glenn Close on the sink with the dirty dishes. OMG!!! (Before the rabbit stew, BTW!!)

And Seal's Kiss from a Rose is a good kiss song.

Sasha Summers said...

A few:
Sweet movie - HOT kiss: Leap Year at the dinner table.
The Island - Ewan and Scarlet's first kiss... OMG smokin and swoonworthy!
Love the Quiet Man! My fave John Wayne movie - and the Searchers...
And recent kisses - Beckett and Castle in the season finale - BRAVO. Now let's hope they can sustain it!

Kathy Ivan said...

Ah, Liz--Fatal Attraction just proves that it's not where you kiss the girl but how you kiss the girl that counts, right? And Seal's Kiss from a Rose is a wonderful song, too.

Kathy Ivan said...

Sasha: I haven't seen Leap Year, I'll have to add that to my growing list. The Island, yep that was a smoking hot kiss.

The Quiet Man--those tall, dark and handsome me are always the one's with hidden depths, aren't they.

Becket and Castle--OMG! Was that hot or what! I love, love Nathan Fillion, have followed his career forever (since he was on One Life To Live). Just please don't let that kiss be the death blow to the series. Love Castle!

chris k said...

I can't believe I can't think of a single movie kiss that says- ooh my to me - I must really be getting old!!! LOL.

I do however remember a really catch your breath kiss from a favorite TV show of mine - JAG - back in season six when the two leads kissed on the front porch during her egagement party to someone else- oh dear- my hearts racing just remembering the Lifelines episode -

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

The Quiet Man kiss was-is fabulous and John Wayne should have had an Academy award for it. Princess Bride good. Gwtw good. And I love the kiss at the end of Sixteen CandleS.

Kathy Ivan said...

Chris--I've never watched JAG but having the leads kiss during her engagement party to another man--that had to be a scorching hot kiss. I'm gonna have to catch up and watch some reruns of JAG--that is if I can ever find a few free minutes.

Kathy Ivan said...

Vicki--I think The Quiet Man is such an underrated film. John Wayn was outstanding in his portrayal. I agree, he should have gotten an Academy Award for that movie. And that kiss--hubba hubba. LOL Thanks for dropping by this afternoon.