Search This Blog

June 23, 2015

@SloaneBCollins Dreams: Is a cigar really just a cigar? #InspiringStories #SafeHaven #MFRWorg

I’m one of those people who dreams vividly and in color – I always have. It boggles my mind when my husband tells me he doesn’t dream, or that he doesn’t remember his dreams.  I usually remember most of my dreams, or at least flashes of them, on a daily basis.  And, depending on what’s going on in my life at that time, I tend to dream of certain things.  We used to have two cats, and when we lost them in the early 2000’s, it was as if we’d lost our children.  Actually, they were our kids.  I found when I was missing them the most, they would visit me in my dreams. 

Every so often, I dream about my dad, and the sister I lost in 1991.  I’ve analyzed those dreams, and they usually occur when I’m missing them the most, or when I have something exciting I wish I could share with them.  When something big is coming, I dream about it, and I think that’s my way of looking at every scenario that could happen. 

When I’m troubled, I dream about my grandmother’s house.
She’s been gone since the mid-nineties, but when I dream of her house, it’s as if I’m really there.  A friend told me she thinks it’s because she and her house were a safe haven for me growing up. Nonnie was always there for us, and in fact, we lived with her for several years after my parents divorced.  So I go to her house as an escape from my troubles. 

Because I am such a vivid dreamer, I also have nightmares, some of which have woken me up struggling to scream (I hate those!).  One particularly bad dream a few years ago was so scary my body flooded with a huge amount of adrenaline, and I woke up with an infection.  I don’t know if I was getting sick already, or if the dream brought it on. Of course, there’s always the wacky dreams, the ones that make me laugh.  

I’ve also had dreams that inspired stories I want to write someday.  Several over the years have stayed with me, and I’ve made sure to write detailed notes about them.  The most recent one like that has inspired an entire series about five brothers, right down to the goals, motivations, and conflicts for each one.  The first one will be difficult to write emotionally, and I’ll have to dig deep to write his story.

And of course I’ve dreamed many times about the books in my French Kiss Connection series!

I sometimes wonder what Freud would say about my dreams…


How about you? Do you dream?  In color? Do you remember your dreams?  Do you analyze or just go with the flow?

6 comments:

Cathy McElhaney said...

I don't remember most of my dreams, but the ones I do are pretty vivid. Are they in color? Sometimes. The ones that always sand out are the bad ones, of course! One of those sparked the first book I never finished writing, LOL! That one is going to take a lot of work to fix it!
Have an awesome day Sloane!

Sloane B. Collins said...

I hope you're working on that book! Sometimes when you step away from it for a while (or a long time, even!), when you go back to it, you see what needs to happen.
Thanks for stopping by!

Vicki Batman said...

I dream in color too! Handsone has nightmares when hes sick

Kathy Ivan said...

Dreams, oh yes, I dream almost every single night. Vivid, full color dreams. Sometimes I remember the entire dream, sometimes it's snatches and bits and pieces. The subject matter may vary, but I'm convinced some of my best story ideas happen while I'm sleeping. Great post!

Sloane B. Collins said...

Vicki, isn't it weird how our body translates being sick to our dreams?

Sloane B. Collins said...

Thanks for liking the post, Kathy!
There have been times I've remembered a dream and it's left me feeling certain things for days afterward. Could be a scary dream, a sweet one, nostalgic.
I agree on the story ideas coming through in dreams!