Search This Blog

December 15, 2011

Michelle Miles: Ugly Cancer, Pretty Words, Awesome Cause

My stalker-buddy, Vicki Batman, is amazing.

I should probably explain why she’s my stalker buddy. She and I attended RWA Nationals in Washington, DC. We were both president of our respective chapters and we somehow kept running into each other all over conference. I asked her if she was stalking me and the rest is history. We’ve been stalking each other ever since.

But back to the story. She’s amazing. She is generous and kind and giving. She goes out of her way to make everyone feel special and welcoming. She and I roomed at Nationals in New York City and had a blast. She talked me into being a Princess and boy am I glad she did.

It’s not just all those things that make her so amazing and special. It’s that she wrote a story to give back. She’s an author in the anthology, Lavender Dreams with her short story, “Taking Flight,” from MuseIt Up Publishing. All proceeds go to benefit cancer research. She wrote this story in honor of a friend who lost her fight with the ugly disease.


The book is divided into three sections: non-fiction, fiction based on true stories, and fictional stories—ten stories generously donated by the authors to help raise funds for cancer. This book is dedicated to the memory of one of their editors who passed away 2011 from cancer, Karen McGrath. Other authors include Barbara Ehrentreu, Gloria Oren, Lisa J. Lickel, Nan D Arnold, Nathaniel Tower, Rosemary Gemmell, Suzannah Safi, and Tanja Cilia.

I think all of us have had some type of cancer touch our lives in some way. A loved one. A dear friend. It’s why I wanted to give back, too. It’s why I joined a group of authors in a paranormal anthology released in September. All proceed from the sale of the anthology to go the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Entangled, a Paranormal Anthology is now available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords and All Romance Ebooks.

Ghosts, vampires, demons, and more! Entangled includes ten suspense-filled paranormal short stories from authors Cynthia Eden, Jennifer Estep, Edie Ramer, Lori Brighton, Michelle Diener, Misty Evans, Nancy Haddock, Liz Kreger, and Dale Mayer, plus a Seven Deadly Sins novella byAllison Brennan. Stacia Kane contributed the foreword. Formatting and cover art were also donated to the project by Lori Devoti and Laura Morrigan.

"Sinfully Sweet" is the story of Chloe who bakes a little magic into her pastries. But she attracts the attention of Edward, the sexy half-demon, half-witch, who’s come to warn her that those who murdered her sister are now after her. I’ve had several requests for more from these two and so I intend to develop this into a full-length novel.

I hope you’re consider purchasing one or both of these anthologies to support two very worthy causes.

You can purchase Lavender Dreams by clicking here: http://tinyurl.com/86p82uy
For more information about purchasing Entangled, a Paranormal Anthology, click here to go to my website. Plus, you’ll be able to read an excerpt from “Sinfully Sweet.”


Michelle Miles write contemporary, paranormal and fantasy romance and is a member of Romance Writers of America. She is the author of The Coffee House Chronicles, the Adventures of Ransom & Fortune, and One Knight Only, now available from Ellora’s Cave. For more information about her and her books, visit her website at http://www.michellemiles.net/.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Essex said...

I just have to say I think romance authors in general, and Vicki Batman in particular, are some of the most generous people on the planet. The whole premise of RWA is romance authors teaching other romance authors how to write and succeed in this crazy business—how generous is that? And then to add on authors who donate their hard-written words for the benefit of others—well I just wan't say enough good things.

Kudos to Michele and Vicki for their self-less donations of their work. :)

Phyllis said...

Yes, I agree Elizabeth.

Thank you Vicki and Michelle from those of us who have lost family members to cancer.

Phyllis

Kathy Ivan said...

As most readers and writers know, when we are writing our stories, it takes a tremendous amount of work, tirelessly sitting at our computers or writing out longhand on tablets to get a completed story; hour upon hour, day after day of selflessly putting words on the page so we can share our stories with the readers.

I am truly awed and amazed at the authors who willingly give their stories for these anthologies with no thought of making money on them, that all the proceeds can go to cancer research.

Almost everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer in some form or fashion, be it directly or a loved one. Authors who give so generously of their time and talent are truly special.

Michelle and Vicki, I do feel truly blessed to know you both. God Bless!

Sylvia said...

Wonderful idea for a book. Cancer has touched so many lives. Thanks Vicki for so many reasons and thanks Michele for helping a wonderful cause. I hope this book makes the ebook bestseller list!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi stalker buddy. I'm blushing at all of your and others kind words. DonatiNg my story was easy. I so wanted it shared. I thank muse it up for the opportunity. Being michelles buddy is easy too. Were a good match. I'm one lucky girl to know her and the others who have left beautiful comments.

J.Q. Rose said...

Karen McGrath was my editor for my mystery, Sunshine Boulevard. She is truly missed after losing her battle with cancer. I appreciate those authors who donate their talents to fight and some day win this war on cancer. I lost my sister-in-law to cancer just before Thanksgiving. You are correct. Everyone has someone in their lives who have lost a friend or family member to this vicious disease. Thank you for spotlighting these anthologies.

Lisa Lickel said...

Thanks so much for featuring Lavender Dreams. It's a great cause for a sad reason and although I didn't know Karen I know others who have been affected and I'm proud to support research. LisaLickel.com

Unknown said...

How in the world did I miss this? Life should never get in the way of love. Love is what it is all about as life can be taken but love goes beyond life and endures forever.

Thank you dear friend for all you are.