Search This Blog

November 6, 2012

Apathy and Passion


It's election day and while I don't want to make this message about politics-too mean and nasty, I thought maybe a reminder about why we vote was a good topic for today. I promise you I'm not going to tell you which party you should vote for or who's the better candidate. Please, unless you've been on a remote island with no access to radio and TV, you've heard that song and pony show for over a year. Politics is like religion-your choice.

So why should you go vote today? Because we live in a democracy that depends on the people making the decision on how they want their government run. Maybe I'm naive, but my going to the polls and casting my vote, tells the government who I want running our government.

If people don't vote, then you let everyone else make the decision for you. Your voice is not heard and well, frankly, in my book, you have no right to complain about the government. Because "We the People" in our constitution is all of us and we create the government.


Sadly, on tomorrow's news we will hear that only 60% of eligible voters went to the polls. Really? So what are you other 40% doing that was more important than casting a vote? I know you have a busy life, so do I. We have men and women across the world fighting for your freedom, your liberty and your right to vote.  You couldn't stand in line for twenty minutes?

In my national writers organization I'm appalled at how few people actually vote. This time it was like 15% of the members voted.  There was only one race that had anyone running unopposed, but still I was a little shocked at the apathy.  

What is the meaning of the word apathy? According to dictionary.com the word apathy is, "absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement. Lack of interest in or concern for things that others find moving or exciting. Freedom from emotion of any kind."

How boring is that! As writers we deal with emotion every day. We write characters that must show emotion on every page. How dull is a book where the characters are just moving through the story without dealing with a problem or reacting to some conflict. Life is full of conflict.  If you didn't have conflict you wouldn't enjoy the good times quite as much.

So being an apathetic voter and letting other people make your decisions shows lack of emotion or excitement. Freedom from emotion.  

Give me the emotion! Show me the excitement! Make my life full of emotion and me passionate about the things I love. From the smallest detail to the people I love, let me have emotion and be enthusiastic about life.  If not, life will be boring.

We have lots of conflict in our government, but isn't that a good thing? It's a perfect example of passion and excitement. Of people with opposing ideas clashing and hopefully coming together to make decisions on how to run the "We the People" government.

Yes, I voted early and I'm passionate about writing, my husband and living each day to the fullest. I tend to book way more things to do, than I have hours in the day. But I'm living a full life. I'm living a life engaged with emotion.

Now it's your turn! Tell me first if you voted! Not who you voted for, but just that you voted. Then tell me what you're passionate about?  

Look for Sylvia's latest book The Reluctant Santa available now on Amazon. www.sylviamcdaniel.com,
Twitter -- @WriterSylvia
 








10 comments:

Alisha said...

Great post! I WILL go vote today! I am passionate about my kids, my husband and my writing! Have a great day!!!

Sylvia said...

Hi Alisha,
Thanks!! Sounds like you have a lot of passion in your life.

Liese said...

When I lived in Honduras, I experienced a national Presidential election there. It occurred on a Sunday and they closed everything down, then went out and partied into the night after voting (regardless of the winner). The next day, a driver told me "We showed the world how much we love democracy." We take this day and effort as a given, but need to realize how much of a privilege and responsibility we have.

So, please go vote, and show the world how much we love democracy!

Sylvia said...

Liese,
What a wonderful example!! Yes, so many people take this day for granted and think their vote doesn't matter. I love the idea of partying into the night no matter who wins. Let's hope that tomorrow no matter who wins the ugliness will be gone and we can party.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

As Americans, we are so lucky to be able to have freedom and be passionate about our lives and family.

Thank you for a great post, Sylvia!

Sasha Summers said...

I voted and am wearing my little "I voted" sticker all day! My kids and I talked about it at breakfast and will watch some of the coverage tonight, too!
GREAT POST!

Sylvia said...

Yeah Vicki and Sasha. I wore my I voted sticker last week, when I did early voting. We are lucky to live in a country where we have the freedom to vote.

Liz Lipperman said...

I voted a few weeks ago and am proud that I did. No matter who wins, democracy is at its finest hour. I think sometimes people get so busy, (and no, I'm not making excuses as there really is none) and we think our vote doesn't matter. And maybe sometimes it doesn't matter as much (like in the last few chapter elections where all the positions were unopposed and we were lucky to get great volunteers.) It's still a right our military has fought hard to keep.

Great post on such a historic day. God bless America.

Sylvia said...

Thanks Liz, I'm with you 100%. No matter who wins, let the healing begin tomorrow and may whoever leads our country do so with wisdom and justice.

Karilyn Bentley said...

Great post! I early voted!!