Search This Blog

November 13, 2012

Michelle Miles: What are your holiday traditions?


The holidays always seems to sneak up on me, even though I know they’re coming. And then I’m annoyed Christmas stuff is up in the storesbefore Halloween has even come and gone.

I suppose that’s a tradition in itself. We know the decorations are going up before we take the kids trick-or-treating, we still grumble about it. I like to carve pumpkins every year for Halloween and decorate the house with all the fall stuff I have. We usually buy mums that die in a week or two. This year, I had a fog machine for added effect whilst handing out candy.

I have a neighbor a few doors down who put up Christmas decorations around the first of November last year. They’re the first one on the block to get their decorations up. Maybe that was their goal – to be first.



Me, I like to get through Thanksgiving. This year, we’re planning a big family get together at my mother’s (as usual) the weekend after Thanksgiving. We’re a large clan, so it’s hard to get everyone in one place on the same day. We’ve done this before where we have the holiday after the holiday and we stuff ourselves silly AGAIN. Apparently, I’m the designated cheesecake baker and if I don’t come bearing cheesecake, my nephews are unhappy. I’ll be bringing cheesecake this year. Except this year I’m going to foil them all and make red velvet brownies (they are TO DIE FOR).

One year, it was just me and the husband. My son was with his dad and the rest of the family was busy with the rest of their family. So I cooked my first turkey. We made dressing. We watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade. Now that I think about it, I watch the parade every year. Oh, and football. Thanksgiving Day is not complete without football! I guess those are some of my traditions.

The day after Thanksgiving, we buy the Christmas tree--a real one. I like to a real wreath for the front door, too. It smells so good. We put up all the Christmas decorations and deck the halls with lots of holly. And jolly. I think this year I’d like some wassail punch so we can wassail the day away while we decorate.

Anyway, then the next few weeks are full of all this build up to the big day. I spend that time finishing up the shopping, baking goodies and building a gingerbread house with my son. It’s our thing. We do that every year. Then Christmas comes and *poof* it’s all over. Just like that. Once all the presents are unwrapped, the new toys played with and the Christmas dinner consumed, I always feel a little sad that it’s done for another year. I mean, wasn’t it summer a few days ago?

And New Year’s. I confess I’m usually passed out before midnight. What can I say? I’m old and tired. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. ;) In past years, the first was always depressing for me. I never much liked turning over a new year. But now I try to embrace the it as new beginnings.

Who am I kidding? I still don’t like it much.

As far as traditions go, my favorite one? Spending all that quality time with my most favorite people in the world. Everything else is just a bonus.

What are you holiday traditions?

Michelle Miles writes contemporary, paranormal and fantasy romance. She loves eating turkey, desserts, spending time with family, eating desserts, and watching football and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. And eating desserts. You can find out more about her books by visiting her website at http://www.michellemiles.net.

3 comments:

Liz Lipperman said...

I grew up with nine siblings, so
Thanksgiving and Christmas were always big family events. But all my family is still in the East, so here in Texas, I do all the cooking for both holidays. When I lived at Lake Kiowa, the kids would come with their animals (no grandkids them) and stay for a few days. We'd play games until the wee hours. Now, my daughter runs to in laws after Thanksgiving dinner and spends Christmas day with them. So, for us, Christmas Eve is a big tradition. I usually make around 25 loaves of potica (nut bread which is a family tradition) but this year, I tore my hamstrings and won't do any baking except my famous Pumpkin Pie Crunch.

Sylvia said...

OH MY GOD, Liz, my mother-in-law made Potica every year for the family. It was such a tradition and her kids just love it. I like it, but I can only eat a little because it's so rich. You're the only other person I've ever heard of that loves Potica.

Our tradition is to watch Die Hard sometime before Christmas. We started this many years ago and it's become a favorite. While other people are watching It's a Wonderful Life, we're watching Die Hard. Go figure.

Kathy Ivan said...

Sylvia, you made me chuckle. Die Hard indeed. (I love that movie too!) We had a tradition of unwrapping most of our presents on Christmas Eve because my mother worked for Western Union and always had to work Christmas Day.

Cooking tradition, I always make a corn pudding for Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. It's one of those things I grew up with having on the holidays. It's so easy but for some reason I never make it except on those two holidays.

Great post Michelle, as you can see I'm so busy with the holidays rushing at me I didn't even make it over here yesterday. LOL