Search This Blog

January 27, 2015

To Kill A Mockingbird



Most of you know we downsized recently from a 5000 square foot home to one less than half that size. We were rudely introduced to the fact that moving isn’t for sissies, especially sissies who are no longer spring-chickens!   

But this is not a whining blog. I’m happy to announce that we’re finally settled in, and although there’s still work to be done, it looks like home again.

We moved to an “active adult” (AKA geriatric gang)  gated community north of Dallas where the amenities are awesome. There are clubs for just about everything, and if you can’t find what you’re interested in, you’re encouraged to start one yourself. I had already decided I wouldn’t go crazy joining everything. (Been there, done that at the last adult community.)  With two books under contract and another in the wings, I knew I had to get disciplined. I’d already wasted four months without writing one word.

Geez! This wasn’t supposed to be whiny. Sorry.

At any rate, one of the reasons we picked this house was that it has a great backyard with a fantastic sunroom, which will be the perfect place for me to write. (Remember me- dinosaur who still writes on paper with a blue pilot point pen!) Although it’s way too cold for me to do that now, I still have to spend a lot of time on the patio waiting for my dog to do her thing. (The little devil won’t stay out there unless I’m there as well.)


The house came with a purple martin birdhouse, inhabited by a lot of birds — probably 30. Since we’ve always enjoyed watching birds, we hung a couple of feeders. OMG! Word must’ve gotten around quickly among our feathered friends, because in no time, we had a slew of regulars at the smorgasbord — mostly purple martins, but also a cardinal family, two doves, and one split-tail mockingbird.

The other day I was out back when I noticed that the lone mockingbird had dubbed himself keeper of the food. Every time one of the birds tried to get a nibble, he chased them away. I stayed out there for over an hour in awe as I watched the little birds, only half the size of the mockingbird, keep going back to try to get the seeds, knowing the bird-feeder police was going to attack them.

Then to my amazement, the mockingbird flew away. I’m not sure if he got tired (he did get a workout,) if he heard his mother calling him, or if he decided it just wasn’t worth it. No matter, it was a victory for the little guys who gathered around the feeders to celebrate.

Got me thinking. How many times have I given up when things got a little too hard? Too many to count. So my new mantra is to kill the mockingbird that’s holding me back! (Not really, but I am going to outsmart the little bully.) From now on, I’m gonna be that little purple martin or baby cardinal and keep on trying.

New Year’s resolution #1—NEVER GIVE UP!

What about you? Any resolutions for 2015?

14 comments:

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Liz! I would love to say I've given up chocolate, but chocolate hasn't given up on me. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Great post Liz! A post that truly hit close to home for me right now. Thanks!!! Pamela Stone

Kathleen Baldwin said...

Loved your story about the mockingjay.
Your new yard sounds gorgeous.

I'm so glad you're going to get back to writing. I love your books!

Liz Lipperman said...

Vicki, chocolate causes a release in endorphins, just in case you needed a valid reason to indulge. I was never much of a chocoholic. I am a card-carrying starch-o-holic, though.

Linda Steinberg said...

I like your resolution, Liz. Can I piggyback on that?

Liz Lipperman said...

Pam, I hear you. It is so hard to get back on the writing wagon when so many things seem to working against you, life especially. So, go kill that mockingbird that wants to keep you away from the feeder!

Liz Lipperman said...

Ah, Kathleen, what a nice thing to say. And yes, I plan on the yard being a writing motivator for me. And for the record, I love your books, too.

Liz Lipperman said...

Absolutely, Linda. We will be plotting and writing fools when we get together in March.

Sylvia said...

I love watching birds and my mother had about 50 hummingbirds eating out of four feeders. Those little birds would fight each other for a chance at the feeder. It was always so interesting to watch them dive bombing each other and shoving and pushing the other birds out of the way. But alas, they moved and now she's not on a creek, so we don't have the hummingbirds. But like you they moved into a nice retirement community. It's a good place. As for New Year's resolutions, this is the first year I've really not made a list of goals and or resolutions. My focus this year is to write as many books as possible. That means head down and focused. No flitting about. As you can see it's almost 8:30 and I'm just now realized it was Tuesday -- PP day. I edited 3 chapters today, so that I can finish taxes up and get back to writing. Ask me in December how well I've done.

Unknown said...

A great lesson on perseverance, Liz. And wise words to live by. :)

So, now I'm going to get right back into that manuscript. :)

Thanks for the post, and Cheers!

Liz Lipperman said...

Sylvia, you are one of the most focused people I know. I would love to have only half of your discipline. Good luck with the "no" resolutions.

Liz Lipperman said...

Cheers back atcha, Liz.

Phyllis said...

Cute post, Liz. So glad you got your new place to a point you can be comfortable.

The birds would drive me crazy if they start waking me up too dang early! Has your mockingbird kept you during the night with its singing yet? Ah, wait until summer!

Richard Majece said...

Just have a look at these advices if you want to know how to hack into a facebook account. It's quite important