Last month, I fell in love.
With bears and moose, mountain bluebirds and coyotes, owls and bison.
To clarify, I fell in love with Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons National Park. While it was my husband’s third trip there, it was my first.
The above-mentioned wildlife were just a few of what we saw on our adventures in Wyoming. It ranks now as one of my top favorite vacations of all time (and I think I’ve mentioned a time or twelve how much I love Maine, right?). I’d move to Wyoming or Montana in a heartbeat.
It was a vacation that fed my soul. I got to be creative with photography, relax and look at beautiful countryside, and get inspiration for the Cowboy series I’m writing, which is set in Montana. (YES! We saw a real live cowboy rounding up cattle!)
I’ve already been able to use some of what we saw in Yellowstone in my WIP. The first time we saw this momma and her two cubs, I think I shed a few tears. I definitely cried when we left. They are
“our” bears now, and I didn’t want to leave them.
A list of what we were lucky enough to see:
• A zillion bison, and a lot of baby bison.
• A million elk – including a mom elk nursing her baby, which is rare, because they hide their babies!
• A grizzly and her cub
• Two separate black bears, each with two cubs
• Another momma black bear with a yearling
• Two older sibling black bears
• Two moose
• Two badgers
• Four marmots
• Two different species of owls
• Two cinnamon teal (ducks with RED eyes)
• Three coyotes
• Bald eagle
• Five mountain bluebirds
• A fox
• Four herons
• A bird that has really groovy fringey feathers
Now I plan to work in to my series as much of what we saw and experienced as possible to honor this beautiful country we have, and the wonder of God’s creation.
Have you ever been to Yellowstone or the Tetons? What’s the most exciting wildlife you’ve seen?