Search This Blog

January 2, 2018

Michelle Miles: Dream Big


Oh, hello, there. It’s 2018.

Last year was trying in a lot of ways for lots of people including me. I had a lot of changes on the job front and the home front. But that’s all in the past and I’m ready to move forward in the new year.

I wrote a lot in 2017 but some of it hasn’t made it to publication yet. I finished three novels, one a major revision, one new and as-yet unpublished and one published and for sale (On the Hunt for the Wizard King).

I’ve made some career decisions for 2018 regarding the books and have decided to phase out all the contemporary romances on January 20. They’ll be gone and permanent out of print. I may do something with them someday, but for now, they’re all going away. It wasn’t an easy decision, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized those books are not really part of my brand anymore.



I want to focus on writing the things that inspire me. The things I get excited about when I sit down at the keyboard and face the page. Life is too short to write books I don’t want to write. I refuse to write to the market and I refuse to write things just to make a buck.

Does that mean I’ll be able to replace my income with royalties from my books? Probably not. But you know what? That’s okay. I will be at peace knowing I’ve published books I’m passionate about and that I’m proud of. That’s my writing dream. Of course, I’d love to make millions, write full time, see my books hit a list and/or made into movies. There’s still a chance all that could happen. ;)

This year, I want to finish my 5-book urban fantasy series, revise and re-release two books from my backlist and publish a new paranormal fantasy. This year, I want to produce stories that make people want to read again, that ignite the imagination, that entertain, that make them forget about a world that can be cruel and ugly at times. To give them an escape. To give them adventure.

This year, I want to work on other non-writing projects that include paying off debt and decluttering my house.

This year, I want to celebrate little milestones and look forward to big ones.

This year, I’m not going to worry about turning another year older or worrying about what other people are doing. I’m going to focus on me, what I’m doing and how to do it better than I have before.

This year, I will dream big.

This is how I want to celebrate and live throughout 2018.

How about you?

5 comments:

Allison Collins said...

What an inspiring post, Michelle! I've been so busy, and gotten so far behind I haven't given any thought to what I need to do this year. But you've inspired me, so I will go work on that right now.
Way to go, Michelle!

Kathy Ivan said...

Excellent and thought-provoking post, as always, Michelle!

2017 was a year where I didn't see a lot published and/or written, had a ton of health issues, more thanI normally do, and it definitely had its ups and downs. But I'm looking forward to a bigger and better 2018, both personally and professionally. Wishing you all the best with your goals too.

Liese said...

Thanks, Michelle for sharing your plans! And follow your dreams. No one else will follow them for you!!!

Best for 2018!

Liese

Karilyn Bentley said...

Thank you for the inspiring post, Michelle! I'm looking forward to your UF. :) Best wishes for a happy 2018!!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

good post, Michelle. My 2017 wasn't as productive as I would have liked, but I'll keep on plugging away.