Search This Blog

September 25, 2012

Princess for the Day: Veronica Scott & TWO Books

 Sometimes, we spot writers who are princesses, too.
Today, we are happy to introduce Veronica  Scott.

Welcome!


Veronica Scott grew up in a house with a library full of books as its heart, and when she ran out of things to read, she started writing her own stories. Married straight out of high school to her sweetheart, then widowed, Veronica has two grown daughters, one young grandson, cats and two novels currently available – PRIESTESS OF THE NILE (paranormal romance set in ancient Egypt, from Carina Press) and WRECK OF THE NEBULA DREAM (science fiction adventure with romantic elements, self published). Two more are in the submission pipeline so she walks around all day with her fingers crossed LOL!

How did you get from your day job to writing romance? I literally started writing stories when I was seven and never stopped. So I guess the writing actually came first! Of course I had to get a lot better at the craft and in the meantime, also had to pay the bills, so I kept the day job. Maybe someday I’ll be able to “just write” – that’s still my dream!


What are your three favorite books of all time? It depends on my mood, but there are certain books I return to time and again – Frederica or Cotilllion  by Georgette Heyer; Pursuit by Elizabeth Jennings and any number of Nalini Singh novels! I really can’t choose between hers…

Morning, afternoon, or evening person? Oh SO morning! I’m an annoyingly cheerful, full of energy start the day person, which the cats like because they get fed way before dawn. Of course I fade slowly as the hours go by and don’t invite me to any late night soirees. I could maybe stay awake to waltz with an eligible Duke…

Music--with or without? What kind? I like to write to music but after the first few notes, I really don’t hear it. If things are going well, I’m in the flow, off in Ancient Egypt or out in space…I have a mix of everything on my iPod, from old rock-n-roll to country to movie soundtracks.

First or third POV? Third – the adventures aren’t happening TO me LOL. I’ve written maybe three first person short stories in all these years.

How's tricks? Do you juggle multiple projects? Usually I’m working primarily on one thing at a time, although I might make story notes if something new just demands my attention. And of course when your editor wants revisions, you kind of have to stop everything else!

What's harder: beginning, middle, or the end? When I start writing a story, I know the beginning and the end and two or three major scenes in between, so what’s hard for me is writing the connecting sections and keeping the action seamless, having enough tension and conflict along the way.

Revisions: Love 'em or hate 'em?  Well, much as I’d love to turn out a perfect novel on the first draft LOL, the revisions make the story stronger and ultimately more enjoyable. And sometimes I know darn well I should have added this or that but it takes the editor telling me to make the improvement to get me motivated to write all the words.

How did you come up with that title? One of my favorite old movies is “Princess of the Nile” so I resonated with “Priestess of the Nile,” although the book started out with another title but someone else had a book out already by the same name. “Wreck of the Nebula Dream” just sounded like a seagoing shipwreck kinda cadence, even if my novel is set in space. It’s “Titanic in Space” but that title was just too obvious!

 Best advice anybody every gave you?  Get the words out of your head onto the paper, every day.

Fill in this blank: My ideal fictional hero would think me gorgeous no matter…because he sees the inner me.

What's your favorite dessert?  This old family recipe called chocolate sticks, that just drips with chocolate drops and brown sugar…although I make a terrific pumpkin pie too.

Find Veronica at:

Find Veronica's books at:
Priestess of the Nile is available at B&N, Carina, & Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Priestess-of-the-Nile-ebook/dp/B0068742Jo

Wreck of the Nebula Dream is available at B&N, Smashwords, & Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wreci=Nebula-Dream-ebook/dp/B007K3PZJE/ref

11 comments:

Veronica Scott said...

Very happy to be an honorary Plotting Princess today! Thank you for having me as your guest - the questions were a lot of fun :-)

Sylvia said...

Hi Veronica,
Great to have you. Your book sounds interesting and the chocolate desert sounds to die for.

Kathy Ivan said...

Hi Veronia and Welcome to the Plotting Princesses. Lovely interview and I have to agree I totally adore Nalini Singh's writing. I'm not sure I could pick just one of her books either, they are all so terrific.

It's wonderful to see a fellow Carina Press author here with the Princesses.

One question, do you find it difficulty to write in two completely ddifferent genres or do you find that rreally works well for you? (I personally like it becuase it seems to keep everything fresher, so when I ggo from Romantic Suspense to Paranormal and back again, it feels different yet right.)

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Veronica! Welcome to the PP. Have your crown on? It's a requirement for Princess for the Day.

Sasha Summers said...

Hi Veronica - Love all things Egyptian so am adding Priestess of the Nile to my TBR list now! Oh and you had me at CHOCOLATE... :) Have a terrific day!

Karilyn Bentley said...

Hi Veronica,
Welcome to the blog! It was fun getting to know you! Your book sounds great! I'm going to have to check it out.

Have a great day!

PamnTX said...

Welcome to Plotting Princess, Veronica!Your books sound great. I love anything that "drips with chocolate." Good luck with your two new submissions!

Phyllis said...

Welcome Veronica! So glad you could come visit us today.

Both books sound good to me. Working on two genres - I personally think that keeps the imagination going when there are multiple story ideas and interests stirred up.

I also have the same problem with my stories ...the connection between major scenes. So nice to meet some else like me!

Angela Campbell said...

Wreck of the Nebula Dream was an outstanding book! Nice to learn more about your thoughts on writing.

Patricia said...

To have been writing since such a young age - that's so cool. And I bet you have some great ideas to put down on paper (or computer). Nice interview.
Patti

Veronica Scott said...

Wow, I feel so very welcomed - the Plotting Princesses are terrific!!!

Let's see, well I had an invisible crown on for most of the day - NASA tends to frown on crowns LOL! But *I* knew it was there...

Since as you can tell, I'm kind of a seat of the pants writer, my characters pretty much take the story where THEY think it needs to go, so when I'm in Ancient Egypt I'm not even thinking science fiction. And vice versa. Altho, having said that so confidently, I do have one novel tucked away where the two worlds intersect (people from my Scifi Sectors go to Egypt, a la the beginning of Andre Norton's Witch World series) but even that one is mostly set in Ancient Egypt. Don't know if I'll ever be happy enough with it to publish it.

Angela, thanks for the kind words about WRECK - so glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks...this visit was fun! I'm going to keep the crown on till midnight BTW...