Search This Blog

November 24, 2011

IT'S MORE THAN GOBBLE, GOBBLE by Kathy Ivan




Thanksgiving's a rather special day for me. It's more than just stuffing my stomach full of delicious foods, watching too much TV, and napping away the afternoon. Thanksgiving is that time of year when I try to take a moment and reflect on what has happened to me; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm always grateful when the good outweighs the bad and/or the ugly. I have so much to be thankful for this year. In the last two years, so much has happened to me as a writer. I had my first book accepted by Carina Press and published—a feat I was beginning to believe would never happen. I was asked to participate in a group of writers, meeting at a fellow writer's home (big thanks Vicki), to help be an encouragement to other writers as well as work on our craft, provide moral support and just generally be there for each other through all the ups and downs.

This group soon became known as the Plotting Princesses. We meet twice a year, have some terrific food, fun, do workshops, writing exercises, brainstorm works for each other—in other words we're there for every member of the PP's.


From this wonderful and supportive group we launched this blog, and as they say the rest is history. . .

I'm thankful that my health has improved to the point where I'm no longer on medication. That in itself is a blessing. I have type 2 diabetes mellitus, which was diagnosed about 3 years ago. At that time I had no idea, no clue, anything so major was wrong. I went to the doctor for something I thought was a minor issue, had some routine blood work done, and got a phone call back almost immediately stating I had diabetes. Talk about a mind-numbing moment (actually more like stark, limb shaking, stomach knotting terror). But sometimes something that can be the bad/ugly thing can be something we are thankful for. Because of that diagnosis, I had to make some lifestyle changes. Big ones. Major ones. I wasn't thankful or grateful at the time but now I can say with certainty that I am.

So, these are just a few of the things I'm thankful for this holiday season. What's on your list? I've shared and now it's your turn. What are some of the things you're thankful for?

7 comments:

chris keniston said...

good health is always a plus - I have a good family but I am especially thankful for the good friends - after all my family had no choice I'm the lot in life they got for wife, mother, daughter, niece - but my friends had a choice - and I'm very thankful for every single one that has come into my life through the years and chosen to stick around!!

Michelle Miles said...

Great post, Kathy. :) I'm so thankful I was invited to participate in this awesome group. All of you are incredibly inspiring and I'm honored to be a member!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Phyllis said...

I love my family and friends. I enjoy good health to date, and I'm Blessed with a decent job.
I am very THANKFUL for all these things.

Friends are chosen, therefore, I am grateful I have such beautiful and gracious friends to share in my life experiences - the ups and downs and all in between.

Life is good.

Phyllis

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Kathy, your beautiful words about the Plotting Princesses struck my heart. Thank you so much and thank you so much for agreeing to carry our venture forward.

I'm thankful for Handsome and five years strong, for my boys, for life, for my family, for my friends. I'm thankful to those who are serving in the military and those who have served. I'm thankful for the awesome country we live in.

God bless all of you on this special day.

Unknown said...

It's always a mystery to me how blessings seem to emerge from nowhere. I'm amazed every time God hands them down with such surprise in unexpectedness. I truly don't feel worthy of the gifts nor do I try to count them anymore as the number is too vast. I am deeply grateful, however. There are so many people I've met since my surreal dream of publication. Wonderful role models and friends.

Kathy & Vicki you are part of those mysterious blessings.

I'd ask where you came from but that is an answer I certainly don't have to struggle with.

Thank you God for all of the beautiful Plotting Princesses You've brought together and a special thanks for a particular two who have touched my life so richly in their generousity of friendship.

Love you guys and Happy Thanksgiving!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Love you too, Karen, and thank you!

Elizabeth Essex said...

I am late to the party (as usual) but I am more grateful that I can say for all the writers who enrich my life.
Publishing can be a rather cutthroat world, but the romance community as a whole, and this small group of happy Plotting Princesses in particular are some of the most generous, talented and brave people I have every have the privilege and pleasure of knowing.

Thank you.